It’s 2019, and the decision regarding whether marijuana should be legalized or not remains as contested as it’s ever been. According to Business Insider, recreational marijuana is currently legal in 10 American states, while medical marijuana is legal in 33 states, the last of which to join the club was Michigan.
But if both types of marijuana belong to the same family, where does the difference lie? What makes one type of marijuana an effective remedy that heals ailments and the other a source of recreation? What’s the reason that one of the two is legal in a greater number of states compared to the other?
To understand this, let’s dive deeper into the constituents which set these two types apart.
What does marijuana contain?
Marijuana comes from the dried buds of the cannabis plant. It can be either smoked or used to make edible products. The cannabis sativa plant consists of at least 480 naturally occurring chemicals known as cannabinoids. The differences between these 480 cannabinoids are largely categorized based on how psychoactive each of them is.
The two most common subclasses of cannabinoids are Cannabidiols (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinols (THC).
- THC is the psychoactive element of marijuana which makes you feel ‘high’ and ‘euphoric.’ Whereas, CBD is non-psychoactive and is known for its numerous medical benefits.
- Recreational marijuana contains more THC content, whereas medical marijuana contains varying amount of THC and unlike recreational marijuana, it doesn’t always have all the components of the plant.
- CBD is mainly sold in the form of supplements, oils, gels, and extracts. On the other hand, THC is consumed by smoking marijuana. THC is also sold in the form of tinctures and drops.
- CBD is said to benefit those who suffer from stress, anxiety, migraines, and chronic pain. According to the American Cancer Society, CBD is also helpful in relieving cancer-related pains to a certain degree. On the flip side, THC is not known for any such health benefits.
- CBD is also known to have some benefits against anxiety in dogs and forms an essential component of medicinal dog treats.
- The cannabis sativa family comprises a wide array of plants. THC is a component of the marijuana plant (also known as weed), while CBD is abundantly found in the hemp plant.
How can you obtain medical marijuana?
You can only obtain medical marijuana if:
- It’s legal in your state.
- You fulfill a qualifying condition
If the answer to both of the above conditions is yes and you’re based in Aventura FL, all you need to do is visit a medical marijuana clinic like Midori Med along with your medical records.
After a detailed in-person evaluation by our medical marijuana doctors, we will set up your marijuana registry profile and will help you obtain a state certificate. This certificate will then help you obtain medical marijuana for your ailments from the dispensary that suits you the best.
To make the process hassle-free, you can fill out our forms online prior to visiting the office. For further details on how to book an appointment, visit our website. You can also give us a call at 754-777-8283.